Fundamentals of Heavy Equipment (2 weeks – 78 hours):
This 2 week course is a pre-requisite to the machine specific operator training program and provides students with the fundamentals of Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) Reg. 213/91, safety, equipment types and components, operating techniques, transportation, and maintenance that apply to heavy equipment in the construction industry.
Students also complete training in WHMIS, Fall Protection, First Aid, and CPR.
Excavator Training (4 weeks – 162 hours):
- Each field exercise includes an instructor led demonstration, followed by a student practice session with ongoing coaching, skills evaluation and feedback from the instructor via two-way radio.
- Th construction-type field exercises progress from basic to advanced level. Introductory training on a laser control system is included.
- Perform preoperational inspection
- Comply with scheduled maintenance requirements
- Plan work procedures
- Comply with grades and stakes
- Operate Excavator:
- Set up equipment
- Grades and layout
- Excavate trenches in compliance with proper slope ratios
- Excavate basements
- Backfill using various techniques
- Load trucks
- Stockpiles materials
- Cut and fill materials
- Follow shutdown procedure
- Load Excavator on transport vehicle
Student/Instructor Ratio: 6 students to 1 instructor
Student Seat Time: Student will always be operating a excavator on a continual basis of 8 hours per day for 4 weeks of practical training.
Total Course Duration: (6 weeks-240 hours)
*Students returning to be trained for another piece of equipment are exempt from Fundamentals of Heavy Equipment.